Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Teaching English to Japanese

One of the neat experience you can have here in Japan is teaching English to the Japanese.  They are very interested in learning English.  I taught a class of 10-14 women Conversational English for 6 months, then I started subbing full-time and had to pass my class on.  I taught once a week for 2 hours and made $100-$150 depeding on the number of women in each class.  It was a great cultural experience.  I decided to invite the women who could come to an American Thanksgiving at our home, knowing me this is adventurous as I don't enjoy cooking! Thankfully Mr. Bill and my good friend D stepped up to the plate and did all the cooking for me.  The Japanese women loved the meal and trying the foods, especially the turkey.  They asked me how long it took to cook the turkey, and since I had no idea I called in Mr. B (who was chatting in another room) to answer the question.  Imagine the look of shock on their faces when the found that Mr. B did all the cooking!   And that he cleans!  They all got a good chuckle out of that.I thought they were going to steal him right then and there.  They even made comments about stealing him, and how lucky I am...I have to agree I'm pretty darn lucky :) They were shocked because Japanese men do not cook and certainly do no clean!  They also enjoyed talking and practicing their English in a real setting outside of the classroom.  The kids enjoyed the experience and the attention, Bubby always gets his head rubbed out in public by the Japanese, they love blonde hair and think it's lucky to rub.  Here is a pic of us and some of the women from my class after the meal.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home