Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Packing Out News

2nd Attempt!  I had a blog all written out and ready this morning...I hit submit and guess what Blogger was down and it didn't save any of it :(

Yesterday I went to a briefing with Mr. B about a our upcoming move.  It was informative and our pack-out dates have been confirmed.  We'll be packing out Aug. 20th & 21st which is only 2 weeks away!  

Thankfully one of the great things about a military move is that the military hires packers to come and pack up everything, minus what is going with us in the suitcases and our express shipment items (1300 lbs)..  They then put it into boxes, then into crates, then into large shipping containers like those on the left.  After that they'll be loaded onto a boat and sail all the way to the US and then get transported to AL.  I hope to document it with before/after pics.

One interesting thing we learned yesterday was that we are not allowed to have any Oregano spices packed in our household goods.  Apparently at customs they are detected as a drug and then everything gets held while they search.  So the lady suggested making lots of Italian food before now and pack-out.  I'd better go make sure there isn't any in our cupboard right now, before I forget (as I've already forgotten since my first attempt post this morning!) because the last thing we need is our stuff getting help up in customs for a $1.50 bottle of spices!  Off to go check before I forget again.....     

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At August 11, 2008 at 9:43 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my! I'm glad I read this because I have so many paraphernalia that can keep the customs busy for the whole year. Asian spices, I swear they get you in trouble each time! Must be organic if they conceive it as contraband.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home