Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Photography - Selective Focus

As many of you know I'm currently taking a Photography course (and starting a Photoshop one soon, I have the materials now, I just need to start it!) so I thought I'd do some posts about my assignments and such.  Of course I had to wait and make sure that I actually passed the assignments before considering blogging about it, LOL!

The one problem I had when trying to figure out what idea to use for each assignment is that photography can be so subjective and that I didn't want to do the same old, same old idea that everyone else had used.  Not that I managed to succeed with that theory on each assignment :)

The other thing I learned is that it is TOO easy to start over thinking everything!  So I try to not do that and keep it simple and not over analyze everything.

One of my first assignments was using selective focus to make the subject stand out.  This was the photo that I chose to submit:

The Beauty of Fall
Yes, I realize that close up of leaves have been done many times BUT you have to give a break as this was my first assignment :)  

Not only do I LOVE the colors of this leaf but I love the shape as well

Thankfully my teacher enjoyed it as well!

Some other photos that I considered:

While I like the leaf here too, I like it much better in the close up photo

Again I was drawn to the shape and color, but the ones around it I wasn't too happy with


A close up of the star shaped leave, the pockmarks on the leaf bothered me, those who know me know my 'issues' can make things interesting and harder than it should be

I also love this one of the goose head but I wasn't sure if the teacher would like it, so I stuck with the classic leaf, I know sometimes I can be my own worst enemy

Even back in Japan when I first got my Canon Rebel Xti I was experimenting with selective focus:






Looking at photos from Japan is bittersweet as I LOVED living there but I desperately miss it even to this day, over 2 years later!  Praying that an overseas assignment will be in our near future




Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home