Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Loving With Action

I have another story to share from this weekend, and once again I am amazed by how things come full circle by the simple orchestration of His hands :)

You may have heard of an organization called World Vision, basically through their program you can sponsor a child for $35/mo.  That money goes to help provide them food, nutrition, water, health care, education, spiritual support, ect.  The best part is that one day you may even get the opportunity to meet a child you've sponsored, if you ever happen to travel to that part of the world.

So let me back up a bit and tell you where my story begins.  When Mr. B was deployed to Afghanistan I had heard about sponsoring a child from the Christian radio station.  Right after Mr. B had gotten to Afghanistan he began to tell me of the poverty of this third world-like country and the children he was seeing on the streets.  His story along with hearing about this company and researching them started to plant a seed in my heart.

An Afghan father and his children digging through the trash.  Despite the cold sweater weather the little boy has no shoes

Mr. B said the children would come running up to the cars yelling and begging


First and foremost I wanted to make sure the organization was legit, I have been known to be skeptical about things.  After some research I found that indeed it was a valid organization and that children's lives could be changed through it.  I started to look through the photos of the children to sponsor and for some reason felt that I should sponsor a little girl from Peru.  I found one that I wanted and then emailed Mr. B to ask his thoughts.

Mr. B replied back that he thought it was a good idea and to go ahead.  I was so excited so I quickly returned to the website and to my dismay found that she was gone :(  I looked for another child but was disheartened so I decided to wait a few weeks until Mr. B got back and we could look together.  Of course those of you who have experienced reintegration know that this time in your life is very busy and hectic trying to make up for all those lost months apart, so it got put on the back burner.  Christmas came and our church had some children you could sponsor so I went out to get one and they were all gone!  Apparently the interest was high and the number of children was low, so once again I walked away empty handed.

A few months ago again I was feeling that we needed to sponsor a child so I went to the website and searched and there was not even one little girl from Peru, again I was disheartened and resolved to try again later.  I have to say that I have NO idea why I was so stuck on a girl from Peru, it is just something I cannot explain.  Again this summer I was helping a friend get ready to move to Germany and I seen the picture of her sponsored child, a reminder that I still needed to do the same.

This past weekend at WOF (Women of Faith) they had several World Vision tables sat up, and the speakers gave info and even played some videos about World Vision.  On Friday they showed a picture of a baby girl from Peru and again I was feeling the conviction that I needed to sponsor a child.  At break my friend and I went to the table near us and there were no girls from Peru.  I seen they were giving away a book and tote if you sponsored a child at the event.  The book was Out Live Your Life by Max Lucado, this made me take note as we're leading a small group soon with Fearless by Max Lucado and Out Live Your Life was one of the ones I considered and also wanted to read.  I left that day not sponsoring a child.

Saturday morning the minute I got up it was on my heart and I just knew I had to be obedient and sponsor a child.  I prayed that if God wanted me to sponsor one He would give me a sign and have a little girl from Peru at the table.  On our first break I told Christy I needed to get to the table and find my girl from Peru.  We searched the table to no avail, there were two boys from Peru but no girls.  I walked to the end of the table and asked the volunteer if she had any others sorted by country because I really wanted a girl from Peru.  She handed me a stack of about 10 from Peru as I looked through them I seen: boy, boy, boy, boy, and then:

There she was!  The ONLY girl in the pile!  I knew she was meant for me.  I signed up and couldn't wait to share the news with Mr. B, who had no idea I would be coming home with a surprise.  I really did not think he would mind since we had already talked about it in the past. Truthfully I was so convicted that I felt like I would be being disobedient if I didn't so I went with the conviction hoping it would not be an issue with him.  I texted him a picture of our World Vision 'baby' and thankfully he and the kids were happy about the news.

I am so excited about Preyty!  Bea has already been praying for her in her nightly prayers and I think and pray about her often.  Look at her, she is so precious, how could I not help her?!

I think about these verses:

" If anyone has material possessions and sees a brother or sister in need but has no pity on them, how can the love of God be in that person? Dear children, let us not love with words or speech but with actions and in truth." 
                                                                    -1 John 3:17-18


Our Pastor had used this verse a while back and it's been with me since, it was part of the motivation for helping the homeless with our last small group and serving at the Salvation Army kitchen.  It has also changed my daily perspective quite a bit as well, instead of just praying for others I'm trying to be more aware of when action is called for and making sure I'm obedient to that nudging.  While this is often uncomfortable for me I know that growth is so I take comfort in that fact. I am in just the beginning of my journey loving with action, sure it's taken a long time to get here, but better late than never right?





"For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’
    “Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’
   “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’"
                                                                   -Matthew 25:35-40

I love this verse because it really has changed the way that I view and interact with others around me.  Sure all those around us may not be Jesus but it sure wouldn't hurt to treat them like they are.  My airport conversation has left me realizing that conversations with everyday people can really make an impact.  While socializing with others my come easy for some (Mr. B included) I do like to socialize...with those I know.  It's much harder for me to be comfortable striking up a conversation with those I do not  know.  Since that airport encounter I now see everyone I encounter as a potential person who has something important to share and may enlighten my outlook on life.  Just yesterday I had a fascinating conversation with the cable guy, who wanted to share his story about his military experience, the good, the bad, & his regrets.  While he probably wasn't Jesus or an angle in disguse, he was someone who had a story to share and was worthy of me taking a few mintues to listen and interact with him.  I'm starting to see that I may have been missing out on quite a bit and I'm excited to see what is in store ahead.  



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home