Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Earthquake!

Wow last night (or should I say this morning) at approx. 12:26 am we were woken to the biggest earthquake we've felt yet here in Misawa!  Praise God no one was hurt here locally and there was no major damage!  Needless to say waves of terror went through us as we bolted from bed and ran to grab the kids and head downstairs.  It was a 6.8 Earthquake that struck the prefecture below us and the news is saying we felt it as a 6!  It was scary!  It seemed like it was going to last forever!  A few things fell over in our home and we were luckier than our neighbor who had many glass items fall and break in her kitchen.  Her TV even started falling!  I'm anxious to see the news reports tomorrow to see if there was any big damage...I'm watching the local news but since it's all in Japanese I don't understand what the heck they are saying.  The videos are good and capture the strength of the earthquake.  I sure hope we can make it the next few months without any more of those!  So here I am typing at 1:22 am unable to sleep wondering if we're going to feel any aftershocks, while everyone else has gone back to sleep.  Off to try to get to sleep...I'll update in the morning before I publish.  

Edited to add:
After I ran downstairs with Bea in my arms and Mr. B with the boys I was thinking three things: 1) When the heck is this earthquake going to stop!? 
2) Should I stay in the doorway or run outside, my instinct was to get out of the house away from possible falling objects
3) I wish this wasn't such a terrifying moment so that I could appreciate the sensation and amazement of the earth rippling beneath my feet.  It's so hard to describe what standing in the middle of an earthquake feels like.  Picture just getting off the spinning teacup ride and trying to walk and yet feeling like your swaying...it's a bit like that only with an added bit of terror.

Here is a news story from today, Hachinohe is only approx. 25 mins driving from here.  I've also talked to a couple other neighbors here this morning and they also had damages of things breaking.  

News Footage of the Earthquake, watch how hard the camera on the building is shaking!


New Link about Earthquake injuries and damage

Cnn.com Earthquake link added at 4:40 pm

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At July 24, 2008 at 5:18 PM , Blogger Jenny Denbow said...

Ack!! I'm glad you guys are ok!

 
At August 11, 2008 at 10:08 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank goodness you can now claim any damage from this quake through the Misawa Legal Office. =)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home