Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Photography - Leading Lines

For this assignment I was to use leading lines to draw attention to my subject.  I know that railroad tracks have been used over and over BUT I wanted to use them and put a little twist on it ;)

Truthfully was scrapping the bottom of the barrel trying to come up with ideas for leading lines around where I live, the railroad tracks are literally across the street and behind our house, yes it does make for loud late night drive throughs!!

I had done a few shots with an 'idea' of what I wanted, and truthfully I ended up with something very different that I pictured and I love it!

So before I get to the actual one I choose for the assignment, let's start with where I first began...

I had originally 'pictured' having one or two kids walking down the railroad tracks, on the rails balancing and I got these:




Sure the above photos were 'OK' but they weren't hitting the mark for my leading lines assignment for me

I even tried to get the boys to high-five each other, but it didn't work out how I envisioned, sigh


I gave up and tried a few using a curved running path:

While I LOVE this photo of Bea, I didn't feel like it fully captured the essence of leading lines

I tried again and felt that she was 'lost' by the path, back to the drawing board as they say...


I was not satisfied with any so I quit for the day and tried again the next day, in which I got these:

Once again the typical smipical photo, although it was what I had 'envisioned' it just wasn't 'IT' in the end
This was my runner up for the assignment, I was torn between this and the one I submitted, but I felt like the leading lines were too 'short,' although I do love the fact that he's walking away from me...I like this photo a good bit

And ultimately my 'winner' for the assignment:

Geek talk for the photo:  ISO 400, f/9, 1/320, 80 mm

All of the sudden I got this crazy idea for him to sit on the track, he being the teen of today immediately started messing with his phone, I snapped the photo and once I got it on the computer I loved it!  It's not something that you see everyday, even if you do see someone sitting on a railroad track, they generally are not texting ;)


I liked it because it was different, both from what I had planned and from what I've normally seen.  I loved that I could see the railroad crossing faintly in the back.  My instructor said this photo intrigued her and she was wondering why in the world he was sitting on the railroad tracks looking at his phone!  She even mentioned that she hoped they weren't 'active' tracks!  It was after hearing her make that statement when I realized that I too like photos that intrigue me and make me think, which is probably why I love to try to capture something unique myself.





Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home