Thursday, October 13, 2011

Book Letter Art

I had seen a vintage book made into a letter on Pinterest and I just knew I had to try it.  That website has given me so many great ideas!

I went to a local thrift store and bought some vintage books.  Last night I decided that I'd attempt to make my first letter, I'm sure Mr. B loved walking in to the chaos of this project after a long day at work ;)

I decided that I'd better use a pencil and draw lines to cut as freehanding it would not have been pretty

Book with letter outlined on front

Apparently Bea got a hold of the camera and decided to help document the process, including Mac under the chair wondering what was going on

I then decided if I was going to saw through the whole book I should tape it so it would stay together

Using the power saw...it didn't work as good as I thought it would 

Bea's photo of me

Trying to cut through the whole thing

Having Mr. B get in on the action

Sawdust flying, Bea did a good job with this one 

Moved to a hacksaw which worked better

But it was still hard work!  I ended up untaping the book and cutting the front cover.  I first used the hacksaw and then found the best tool to use...a Pampered Chef knife!  It cut the cover great and I only 'almost' cut myself once, LOL!  Those knives are sharp!  So after I cut the front cover I then cut out the pages with scissors which was much safer but a slow and steady process.  I then used the knife again for the back cover and viola:

A Book Letter!  I LOVE it and I want to do one for all the kids but it did take about an hour...some of that was probably 'growing pains' figuring out the process but I'll wait awhile before I attempt another ;)





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home