Monday, August 20, 2012

Rainbow Cake

Today I made a rainbow cake for our monthly celebration and of course had to share pictures :)





The rainbow cake is fairly easy!

I used this blog as a guideline:
http://www.messforless.net/2012/08/food-fun-friday-rainbow-cake.html

Then I made my own 'rules' LOL

After I mixed the 2 boxes of batter I put a little over 1 cup into 6 separate bowls to make the colors.  I then colored the batter using food dye.  I used a Wilton's rose for the hot pink.  My orange didn't turn out so I didn't use it.  I'm sure it's not gonna kill us to have 1 less layer, I'm not even sure how we're gonna eat all of this bad boy!

Then I baked them 2 at a time in 9 in pans that were coated really good with shortening.  About 8 mins and then dumped (gently) onto cooling rack and re greased the pans and baked some more.  I did not use plastic wrap or freeze the layers, too much work ;p

I let them cool and then I started stacking the layers going in the Rainbow color format ROY G BIV :) as a guideline, layering with white frosting.  I ended up using 3 cans of frosting.  I did have to cut some of the layers to make them flat.  Then I frosted the whole thing.  I opted not to use sprinkles, ect on the outside.

I also make a few rainbow cupcakes as well because some of my kids prefer cake without frosting, I know...gasp!  I just took a tiny scoop of each color and plopped it into a cupcake liner.  I only did 3 color for each because it's easy to overfill them trying to get all the colors in.

Now you too can be inspired to create a rainbow cake :)





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home