Friday, February 10, 2012

Flea Market Finds



Yesterday for our weekly get together me and a couple friends decided to hit a local flea market.  I've always been fascinated with the flea markets here in Alabama, coming from Idaho where I'd never seen the likes of one before.  I love to go 'treasure hunting' and see what I find.  While we always see some neat and crazy stuff, you should see the pic of me with the hamburger phone...oh wait you probably shouldn't LOL...it's not often that I find several good deals at one place.  Our last attempt at the antique mall was a bust due to inconsiderate weather which had us stopping the trip early, yesterday was redemption day!

Yesterday yielded some great results!  I spent little but got some amazing bargains!  So I decided why not take photos and blog about them :)


First and foremost I found MY window!! I've been wanting an old window for awhile now but of course I only wanted one if the price was right.  We seen this one for $6 and I almost passed it up due to the one missing pane of glass.  That's when my friend who we'll call Amarilla (because of her intense love for all things shiny and sparkly) came up with a plan.  She asked if I happened to have a measuring tape in my purse, and low and behold I did...only because I had to measure a driftwood centerpiece for her last week...but that's another story ;)  When she measured it we realized that it was 8x10 so we came up with a plan to use a piece of glass from a frame to 'fix' it.  I mean it is not going to be used as a window, only for decor so I was all for it!  Good friends don't let their friend walk away from 'treasures' knowing that they will later regret it ;)  Thankfully she stopped me from walking away and instead figured out how I could fix it, wahoo!  Then I remembered this other booth we had seen and we found this....


A vintage wooden frame with glass, for only $1!  So not only did I get the glass to fix the window but the wooden frame to repurpose as well.  And the glass is even old/dirty like the window ones so it won't be hard to make it look like it belongs.  


I also scored this vintage print of a Europe map for $2!  I think my love for maps started back in Iceland when my friend Y just had to have this amazing old world print of Iceland...of course I needed one too ;)  Now I've got another map to add to the collection and for a steal!


Close up of the map print, I really don't know much about it and the Internet has yielded little information but I do know that I LOVE it 


And I also found me an ugly bird...LOL!  After scouring the Internet and seeing how people have been repurposing things (kinda like what I did with my owl) I've been keeping my eyes open for things to paint and repurpose and then I seen this little guy yesterday for $2.

So I walked out $12 lighter but super excited to start working on these projects!  My friends also scored some awesome deals, flea market shopping is fun, but so much more so in the company of some great friends





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home