Tuesday, January 24, 2012

DIY Ruler Growth Chart


Once again I've been bitten by the Pinterst bug!  I just knew had to make a Ruler Growth Chart :)

I started with a 2x10x8, which I cut down to 6 ft long.  So the board is 6 feet tall and when hung 6 inches up from the floor it will be a 6.5 ft ruler

I used RustOleum Dark Walnut because I like the darker stained look, it's also the same stain I used on my DIY planter centerpiece.  I stained the sides and both sides of the boards, it took it a bit longer to dry since it was pretty cold the day I stained it...but I just couldn't wait for warmer weather ;)

After staining I brought it into the house to work on putting on the ruler lines & numbers.

The HARDEST part was getting the template set up on my Silhouette Cameo so that the measurements were accurate!  After finally getting the spacing right (1 inch apart) I was set to start with the 7 inch mark and then go up to 1 foot.  I cut the lines out of contact paper so that I could stick it on the ruler and use it as a stencil!  Above is the contact paper stencil before I applied it to the ruler

The specifics for the ruler lines.  My lines were 1/4 inches wide.  
The inch lines were 1/4 in wide by 2 in long
The quarter inches were 1/4 in wide by 3 in long
The foot lines were 1/4 in wide by 4 in long


I used a clear contact paper so that I could make sure that I could 'see' where I was lining things up, see the stencil on the left side?  


Close up of the stencil on the board


Then I used a black acrylic paint and painted the lines of the stencil, I used 2 coats


All the lines painted and drying


Then I peeled the stencil off, see the first half of the ruler...


They were still drying when I peeled it off, as I'm a bit impatient ;)


Then I cut out the numbers 1-6 on contact paper and stuck them on the board, then painted the with black, also using 2 coats.  

You can use any font/size that you want.  I tried a few and found that I liked Adobe Fangsong Std R (I have a Mac) and my numbers were 3.2 in tall by 2 in wide.


All numbers painted and drying, and yes I did stain the top and bottom after I was done, I forgot to do it ahead of time 


And the finished product!  I LOVE it!  



If you don't have a Silhouette machine you can free hand the lines and put them on using a measuring tape to mark them out every 1 inch, or tracing them on, or using a stencil made out of card stock.

  You can use any number stencils or free hand them, I am not that talented so I had to use a stencil.




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home