Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Refinished Cabinet: From Run-Down to Repurposed



A while back I bought this cabinet at the flea market with visions of refinishing it, yesterday I finally completed that vision!

I do have to say that I did not do it alone, instead it was a tag-team effort with Mr. B :)  He sanded it down, cleaned it all up, and painted it the base coat for me.  I did the vintage/distressed finish on it and I love it!

Now I know it looks kinda rough in the photo above but that didn't stop me from seeing it's potential!

When I bought it I had NO idea what colors to use, or even HOW I wanted to distress it, so this was all a trial by fire.  I went to Walmart and feeling overwhelmed by the paint process I headed to the clearance section where I struck gold!  I ended up with a Indian Painted for the base and Granite for the finish and at a greatly reduced price...now that's my kinda deal!  Instead of paying $20-30 each I paid $13-14 each and there is plenty left for other projects.


All sanded down thanks to Mr. B.  I will say that I did start to sand it down when I had free time here and there but I was moving much to slow for Mr. B's liking so he decided to just knock it out for me.


Me deciding if I liked the base color.  While it was a bit 'beige' for my taste I knew it wouldn't matter once I put the gray on top of it.

I decided that I would paint the whole thing in the base color and then use the 2nd color to give it the vintage/distressed look.  After spending some time online researching I decided to just give it a go myself.  I painted the Granite over the base coat and then I decided to use some old rags to wipe off a good portion of it.  It was great because the finish picked up all the cervices and highlighted them.  I wiped and painted until I got the look that I wanted...it was really pretty simple and only took me around 30 minutes to knock out the whole thing!

Mr. B mounted the new hardware and we brought it inside!  Finished photos, please note the garage lighting is not the best and these were taken in the evening:






I love the hardware that Mr. B picked out, I had looked around at Hobby Lobby but didn't see anything I really liked.  When he was at Lowe's buying the wood for the workbench he found this set, and it's perfect!


See horrible lighting on this back picture.  Like my Coca-Cola 'painting' signs?  They were throwing them away at the shoppette and Boo asked if he could have them...he wanted to hang them in his room!  They say 4/$10, LOL!  They were perfect for using while painting for this project


Side view




Now that we got that little project under our belts I have the feeling it's just the beginning ;)




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home